Monday, October 17, 2005

A new model for living

Debdutt Patnaik was a mythology expert I met at someone's birthday party. Having done a post grad in mythology, he was apparently quite an authority on Indian mythology - which was his passion. The next time he popped up was in some article, I guess in the Times which he had written. Then he was doing a lecture on 'Da Vinci Recoded : The mythological meaning of Da Vinci's symbolism' at NCPA

The n the other day at the airport I came across a book written by him - needless to say it was quite impressive.....seemed like the person I had met that day was one of India's leading historians, which was subsquently confirmed.

But what really got to me was what I discovered about him today. I got to know that Debdutt is not a full time mythologist. In fact, he has a normal day job with the Sanofi-Aventis group! And inspite of a nine hour a day job, he pens close to three thousand words a day - which makes him the prolific writer he is. Having published eight books, he's on his way to getting many more out!

Inspires me....so there are people after all, who are managing to negotiate the ultiamte question - doing what you love v/s doing what you get paid for. Becuase its very rare that what you love to do pays you enough to live a life that you want to......

Ditto feelings when I discovered Chetan Bhagat, of Five Point Someone was an I Banker at DB Singapore! I guess more and more of us will start to adopt this bread butter model - with basic money coming from a day job but the passion staying alive and kickin!

for me its very exiting simply because it gives me a new way to live - a new way to think about fulfilling my dreams.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home