Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Why not so?

NLP (Neuro Linguisting Programming) rocks! It is a powerful technology of personal change that I would recommend to everyone.... I'm attending a 10 day workshop on the subject right now....getting a 10 day leave from work needs a lot of things. For one it needs an inner sense of responsiblity that your work will stay unaffected to whatever extent possible. It also needs a boss and a company that trusts you and lets you take that kind of a leave. And then you need something to do with the 10 days - a lot of people would go crazy figuring what to do with 10 free days! For others, it would probably be the first time in many months that they are doing that.....

But then I would love a job that lets me take time off - you know, work half the time. I ask my every-busy consultant friends, why are they so overworked? Why doesn't the company just hire a few more people! Of course easier said than done, they are apparently too expensive and so priced high (which also makes sure the client extracts the maximum value!)

But then with these IIM-type pay packets, I would really not mind a job that makes me work for 6 months and pays me half the annual salary, and gives me time off for the remaining six months to do as I wish. Write. Travel the world. Go fishing or camping or trekking. Whatever.

I know that sounds extremely silly and perhaps even romantic - but why not so? What would happen if the most talented people, say the cream at all the premier B Schools, simply refuse to take on anything but a six to ten months a year job? Would organisations, who compete for the sharpest minds also adjust to such a demand? Because I really think that the one dimensional analytical minds are not the best ones - the best minds are those that are constantly fed by new things and are infinitely curious......

If someone would offer me the deal, I'd take it without a second thought. Of course it would slow down my career considerably (but whose in da race man?) and might take me much longer to get good at the job.......but look at how much it will let me enjoy my life - every year and every month to the fullest. And who knows? I might just end up being even more prolific and productive at work too ;)

Is someone listening??

1 Comments:

Blogger Seemantini said...

ur post resurfaces in my head what i've ALWAYS admired about travel bugs, those pardesi types... who work for a year or two n then take off on an Asia-thon or a mammoth travel sojourn.

travel truly sinks into ur soul, and gets you closest to the soul of the earth!

then i wonder about this phrase that oozes optimism--- where there is a will there is a way...??

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home