Friday, October 21, 2005

Local train and lessons in corporate life

The local train, today, was deceptively similar to the "ride" in the corporate world.....or maybe it was my mind that was bringing out the similarities.....whatever the case may be, it left me thinking.....just as when you make a model of something much larger, and use it to explore what would happen, I used the trains to think about many issues.....

The first decision I had to take for my journey was WHICH train to take - one option would be the slowest and the most comfortable - Borivili slow train. Then would come the slightly more crowded and marginally faster, Borivali fast. And then would be the fastest and most crowded - the Virar. These are like different sectors - different types of jobs. The final destination could perhaps be a financial goal. A Virar train is like your consult investment banking job. Quite competitive (when you're about to climb on board of the Virar you know there are so many others!), quite crowded....and the fastest way to reach your goals. The Borivali fasts and slows could be like other career streams - you reach your destination and in a far comfortable manner, but it takes much longer. And you have to see many virar trains that started later than you overtake you.......

I decided to take the virar. (any reflection of the kind of choices I am going to make?) The crowded train is enough of a thrill - and the speed doesn't hurt either! I beat my co-passengers on the station to head for the doorway - almost like cracking placements to get the best job in these sectors....

The ride on the door is like that of a CEO - its filled with its ups and downs. Firstly there are perks that anybody would (quite literally) die for - full body ventilation, amazing view outside, no suffocation and no pressure as people climb on stations that come the other side. And yet the same position has its downsides as well - when there is a station right on the side that you're hanging out on, it is quite a struggle to stay on board. And then there are those few moments where you are about to fall off the train.....Someone like Pankaj seems to be living at this level, and enjoying every moment of it.

The second line, right behind the hang-outers is more peaceful. It doesnt have the risk of falling down. It doesnt face the crowds in times the station comes. Of course there is not enough ventilation (and once you're used to hanging out this seems too little) and lots of pushing....the trade offs are always there.....but for someone like my father, this is the most optimal combination to be (in fact in train too he prefers to travel at this position!)

There are people who are sitting comfortably - these are people who've had a head start....in real life similar to people who already have family businesses and wealthy or outstandingly intelligent backgrounds. For these guys, the ride is quite comforatble - and anyone would not mind switching places with them - but it should be remembered that these dudes had a headstart....

And as I finally get down at dahisar I see people right on the roof of the train - sitting and enjoying the breeze. And yet extremely risky and dangerous way to travel in my opionion. Someone like Vinod or Leslie are people who live life this way - totally doing what they love, and extremely meaninguful. But for someone like me it would give me the shivers!

Its interesting how its all there....and how for each train there will be all types of people.....some with a headstart....some prefering the thrill of the door and others prefering to stand just behind.....each with a different set of choices, and each with a different place he would think is the best (optimal ventilation-safety combination if you ask me!)

For now though the thought I'm left with is that switching trains too frequently is the slowest, most painful, and tough way to get to your destination......and for now I'm heading towards swithing my first train on the career track :)

2 Comments:

Blogger The One said...

@JIVE

Hey I'm kool....back in Mumbai :)
Good chatting with you :)

@KARISHMA

Thanks a lot yaar...I am trying to juggle it - lets see how it goes :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ashish Shakya said...

A thought-provoking analogy.

I'd been following COBE in JAM for a while and I absolutely loved your business plan, or rather, the idea behind it- to teach and inspire the youth.It's something I'd like to be involved with,once I get my train on the right track.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home