Saturday, October 29, 2005

My ultimate addiction

There is something I got addicted to as a youngster ..... could not leave it for long. You know how an addiction is - it just gets over you, literally rules you....one drag and it feels so good!

For me that addiction, I realised today, is community work. Blue Ribbon (my youth NGO) restarted operations today with SMILE (Special Moments of Inspiration, Learning and Enjoyment). We took 25 odd economically underprivilged kids on a Mumbai Darshan (sight seeing tour) - the idea was to spend time with them. To interact with them. And to inspire them in the process.

I JUST LOVED IT!!!

It just brought out the best in me - talking to kids. There was this chap who absolutely refused to let a girl sit next to her! Reminded me of the time when I was 10-11 years old!

These kids were amazing - they could be happy at the tiniest thing. As a train passed under the flyover, the bus went into a roar! It was so much fun....

At the same time we had to be careful with a few things. Our attention had to be fairly divided. We decided to keep away from games that involved religious references (just to avoid any controversy, which in retrospect I think was more in our minds)

Screaming, singing, dancing - I said to myself, 'This is life'....and realised I had not said that to myself in a long long time....

Now how much ever people may rationalise saying my job helps people save their money or it helps people wear good clothes or so and so....ABSOULTELY NOTHING BEATS THE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. The sheer joy and satisfaction is an uncomparable high. I wouldn't feel as happy even if I bought the best car or a farmhouse or a bunglow.....I realise that the best joys in life are free..........and for now that jow is brewing and flowing out of my heart :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home